We finished off the Lake District with a great and surprising find. Our overall impression of the Lake District was that we would have gotten so much more out of it without an infant (love you Josie! But you slowed us down on this one!). I think we just couldn't get any momentum because we would have to stop to feed her or she would have already had a 15 minute nap in the baby carrier and so she needed her next one in a bed. We could barely get to where we wanted to go and one of us would end up sitting in the motorhome while Josie napped in her car seat. Which was fine, it just made us feel like we couldn't quite enjoy the Lake District for all it had to offer. So the last day we were there we pushed ourselves (and sweet Josie) a bit and spent the day driving and walking and ferrying and swimming and finally spelunking! We found a beautiful slate quarry called the Cathedral and rightly so because the first room you enter has a huge hole in the rock above that lets in glorious light. A great way to end.
| An Arts and Crafts house that Luke found and loved |
| Tarn Hoews lake in the Lake District |
The next day was a 14 hour commute of driving and ferrying but then .... ahhhhhhhh! Holland. We LOVE Holland. All of us. We love the country. We love Luke's family that is there. We love all it has to offer. And we loved the sunshine that came out to greet us. Was such a great transition for us. Luke's family spoiled us once again (Diana even made Everett a dessert called speculaas which is his favourite!) Ella and I wandered their little town of Strijen and decided that this town was our favourite so far. We are so thankful that we get to end our time there with them too.
| So excited to see spring. |
![]() |
| Happy 6 months! |
| We decided to trade in the motorhome and drive the BMW for the rest of the trip. Oh and leave the kids somewhere too. |
We arrived in Germany on Monday and were able to spend some wonderful time with Luke's aunt Leah and her family. She too has taken up the the tradition of spoiling us rotten! We've just finished exploring here and now head to Budapest tomorrow (arriving Saturday). All of us are a little nervous of the language barrier that we have started encountering, but the kids are starting to be brave with attempting a few words here and there. I play a game with them and try to make them sound out a German word that we see on a sign and Luke's family tells us how close we get. Our favourite words are the ones with 25 or more letters. The kids giggle trying and Luke's family laughs at our attempts. It's all very amusing!
| Queen of the World! |
![]() |
| Eating sausage in Germany (this place is made for Isaac. Sausage and fries everywhere!) |
| Thinking of purchasing this for our living room at home. Seems practical! |
Our family Q & A:
Questions:
1. What was a highlight for you so far?
2. Was has been a lowlight for you so far?
3. What has been your favourite house or area we visited?
4. What has surprised you about our trip?
5. Is there anything you have learned about yourself?
6. What is one of your best memories?
7. What are you looking forward to?
8. What are you nervous about?
9. What is a goal you might have for yourself over the next 3 months?
10. What do you miss about home?
ELLA:
1. Reading in the sunshine at the Lake District, visiting the Harry Potter museum and visting Barley Cove beach in Ireland.
2. Getting sick on the ferry!
3. Scotland - I liked being so close to everything and being in the town
4. I’m surprised how fast this trip is going by!
5. I am learning that I am a really good big sister!
6. I will always remember going to our first castle (Bodium Castle) and everybody running in to see it.
8. Not being able to speak the same language!
9. I want to try to meet other kids in the towns that are around my age to play with.
10. I miss my friends and I miss skiing with my school.
LUKE:
1. Driving the Ireland pass called the Dunloe Gap.
2. The loud motorhome drives!
3. Wales - it had mountains and ocean. Loved the hikes and the house we stayed in.
4. I’m surprised how little extra time I have (or don’t have)
5. I’m learning how much I really do enjoy furniture and building furniture
6. Hiking up the Law in Scotland.
7. Warmer weather, different culture and landscape
8. Just hoping the motorhome makes it the whole way!
9. To just relax and have fun.
10. Nothing.
Isaac:
1. playing in different parks, the Giant’s causeway and the Rope Bridge
2. Going to the harbours because they are so muddy!
3. Scotland and the Lake District, but I loved the pool at the Ireland house!
4. How much I loved the tennis place and playing tennis
5. That I like Pukka Pies (meat pies)
6. Standing on the super high rope bridge above all the rocks
7. Slovenia house
8. Not sure. Nothing!
9. Get better at Minecraft
10. Maggie, Nana and Papa
EVERETT:
1. Animals at the Lake District
2. When I had a tummy ache
3. Ireland. I loved the pool!
4. I’m surprised how much I am not missing home!
5. I learned that I am good at Rainbow Looming
6. I loved the Giant’s Causeway
7. Italy house with the pool.
8. I’m nervous about the new languages and not being able to follow what people are saying
9. I’m going to try to learn a little bit of the new languages
10. I miss my friends and my family
KATHY:
1. How well the kids are all playing together
2. My back is still not getting any better!
3. I loved the Scotland house. Amazing location and beautiful weather.
4. I’m surprised how much I truly did enjoy the UK despite all the rain. I thought it would discourage me but I actually was ok with it for most of the time!
5. I learned that I really do love being with my family. We drive each other crazy sometimes but we are all becoming really great friends.
6. I will always remember the sounds of the kids giggling in the back of the motorhome while we drive. I love listening to them make up games and tell stories to each other.
7. I’m looking forward to the sunshine! And I’m especially looking forward to Italy. I can’t wait to see friends and family who are visiting and to experience Italy in the spring.
8. I’m nervous about our stuff getting stolen. I think I’ve watched too many movies!
9. My goal for the next 3 months would be to just be in every moment.
10. I miss my friends and family too!



It will be really good to see you too again Luke! Good thing the rest of your family misses the people back home or I'd be worried where you'd end up. Love the updates! Thanks Kathy!
ReplyDeleteWonderful blog from everyone...thanks so much for another glimpse into this incredible adventure. Love the pictures of Josie on her tummy. She is so sweet. Love Isaac's big smile while he's eating his sausage and fries. Love the pictures of Ella reading in such comfy places. Love the picture of Everett riding that cool bike. Love, love, love the picture of L&K and the BMW - just fits!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog, great questions and great responses. I love the pictures of the kids. Josie is looking so mature. Her looking out that window high up made my knees weak. I also loved Laura's comment - way to go Laura.
ReplyDeleteWe miss you too!
ReplyDelete