Thursday, 6 March 2014

Another great day!

We have had some more amazing exploring here in Northern Ireland.  We went back to the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge and sure enough it was open.  And because of the annual maintenance the man at the information desk told us it was the "safest it'll ever be"!  Phew!  So off we went.  There has been a  rope bridge of sorts to the island of Carrick for at least 350 years.  It used to be what the fishermen would use to get to their boats but now it is a huge tourist attraction for Northern Ireland.  One drawback of coming to the UK in winter/early spring is the weather is wet.  One major perk is the crowds, or lack there-of.  I can only imagine what the crowds looks like in the summertime!  When we got to the bridge I had the camera I was the lucky one to cross first.  It's not very long (just over 60 feet) but is 100 feet above the crashing waves.  I assumed we'd need to coax the kids across but when I turned around to take photos they were already part way across! I had to yell at them to wait so I could get some photos!  The worker guy told us that 10 year olds used to start working for the salmon fishery because they were big enough to carry 2 fish over their shoulders without the fish touching the ground.  Ella was thankful we live in a different time and place! 



















We are in the land of rovers!  



We also found Luke's favourite castle.  This castle is called Dunluce Castle and it was fought over by the Irish, the Scots and the Brits.  Everyone wanted it.  Luke is convinced that it was because of the view.  It was finally defeated by mother nature when the kitchen fell into the ocean.  












Luke likes to get photos of Josie in nooks of the castles.  This one was not her favourite!





Castle tricks!


This about sums up these kids perfectly!

5 comments:

  1. Such great pictures...thanks for taking so many. These kids are seeing and doing things that most of us only hope to do. So happy for all of you even though we miss you. Love the rope bridge pictures - good for all of you. The green grass and blue sky is terrific. And then the last picture of the older kids is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josie might not have strong memories of this adventure, but she is going to love the photos when she's older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are amazing! So gorgeous! And look at that baby! Ahhhh, so cute & so fun. I love that in the background of Ev's hot dog photo is a sign that says "Light Lunch" Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max and Chris like to do that trick too. Good dads think alike!

    ReplyDelete